I started this blog last year as a way to journal career relevant things, maybe some personal things, and mainly the work I do with Tableau. It has been a slow year in terms of blogging but a good year in terms of progression. Let’s see what I have accomplished this year, compare what I achieved last year and
- Got promoted! Moved up two levels in my organization from an Intermediate Systems Developer to Manager, Branch Performance and Analytics!
- Attended two conferences
- Alteryx’s Inspire 2016 in San Diego, CA
- Tablea Conference 2016 in Austin, TX
- Upgraded my Tableau Desktop certification to the latest version, I’m now a Tableau Desktop 10 Qualified Associate
- Completed the Visual Graphic Design Fundamentals course from Shaw Academy
Throughout the year my fitness levels varied. Overall I made my best my best progress during the Grit 2016 program where I finished at 156 lbs and 18% bodyfat. However, at the moment of writing this I’m at 161 lbs and 19.7% bodyfat… Need more discipline!
- Fastest 5k time: 44 min 57 sec (I was running with a friend, so had to stop a lot. Plus the terrain was quite brutal)
These aren’t really my top tracks but ones that I’m obsessing over right now
- Alessia Cara – Scars to your Beautiful (Luca Schreiner Remix)
- The Chainsmokers – Setting Fires
- Zayn & Taylor Swift – I Don’t Wanna Live Forever
Another year that I didn’t spend much time watching movies… or UFC PPV events
- Captain America: Civil War
- Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice (I watched this 6 times in theaters!)
- Doctor Strange
- Jason Bourne
- Suicide Squad
- The Legend of Tarzan
- Star Wars: Rogue One – Another deathstar movie…
Movies I missed: Star Trek Beyond, Pete’s Dragon, Independence Day: Resurgence, Sully, Passengers, Arrival
Got Alteryx at work!
Had to pay out of pocket to go to both conferences this year.
- New York – Apr 2016
- San Diego & Las Angeles – Jun 2016 (Alteryx Conference)
- Montreal – Sep 2016 (MFW)
- Austin – Nov 2016 (Tableau Conference)
- New Camera Equipment! (picked up in June) \O/
- Canon 5D Mk III
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L
- Zeiss EF 50mm f/1.4
- Tenba 22″ backpack (November)
Overall 2016 was a good year for me. Lots of accomplishments and many good things happening. I am fortunate to have things go my way and all the hard work is paying off.
Plans for the future:
- Participate more on the Tableau Community
- Makeover Monday
- Solve problems
- Blog about the solution
- Become Tableau Desktop 10 Certified Professional
- Showcase my photography
- Post pictures regularly on my Instagram and Facebook Albums
- Create a Tumblr perhaps?
- Showcase my graphic design work
- Clean up my diet and fitness routine!
- Read (and especially finish reading) more books
- Bring Agile to my life