This week’s Makeover Monday challenge provides data from a graphic posted in USA today, originally from carinsurancecomparison.com, about the states that rank the worst with driving infractions.
My visualization is pretty basic, I kept the fonts and the colors to the default scheme from Tableau mainly to produce something quickly without being influenced by other submissions.
What I Liked
- I liked that you could see the entire states
- I liked the consistent color scheme
- I liked the compactness of the view
What I Did Not Like
- I did not like that you couldn’t easily tell which state was the worst
- I did not like that you couldn’t really see how the smaller states ranked (they are placed as a legend to the side)
Where I Tried to be Different
Where the original attempted to showcase all fifty states on a single map, I wanted to focus on the worst of the worst. My objective was to keep to the story short, to the point and keep the resulting data condensed.